"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Way too Long

Well,

it's been too long. I've been feeling oh so uninspired for almost the past month or so. and it's been awful and stressful. but i stumbled across faint acquaintances' blogs and so, somehow, have been shamed? into writing again. But before that. I will draw inspiration from a song that I'm physically addicted to at the moment. And, so I'm going to go try to learn how to post it here.



I hope that works. I'm computer illiterate.

So, its sort of obvious that I'm still on my David Bowie obsession. But whatever.

I have been homebasing in Seattle and thoroughly surprised at my ability to handle the shitty weather (it's been the worst April I can recall) but I took a trip down to San Francisco (the city I hope to eventually move to with a job). First impressions are always funny to recount. Or maybe not. I embraced sunshine (oh yeah! this is what I love so much and get depressed when I'm missing!) Some powerful spell had been caste in Seattle to keep me distracted from my seasonal affective disorder, (which is a fancy name that people unfortunate enough to not live in decent places give to those who realize living sucks when the weather is awful) Or it's a "disorder" for when a human responds emotionally to the weather. Sounds quite disorderly to me.

So sunshine. I love it. San Francisco has been beautiful and definitely warmer than Seattle but not warm warm. Which is actually kind of nice, because I can still wear most of my clothing. Although in general, i'm opposed to wearing lots of clothes. the other thing I found funny. Walking around and navigating San Francisco once again, another familiar but forgotten impression came forth from the depths. AH! yes, ! this is what a city is! There are tons of different people, lots of weird people, I don't hear only english (or spanish and/or chinese/vietnamese/japanese etc) I hear italian, french, german, spanish, english, russian, chinese, vietnamese, japanese. Crazy languages! And crazy people. And different looking people. AND. a city is supposed to be big. Seattle, (never have I had quite this impression before) is TINY. It's so small. It's not a city, its a large town. Not that I'm opposed to that, it's just, returning to San Francisco was like returning to a city. And I like the city.

So sunshine and diversity (and this is only San Francisco!). Two things I had been missing in Seattle. The day I arrived I walked to Union Square and popped a squat. There were two (i'm going to assume.) art students sitting out in the square. A taller hairy man with a hat on and shorter fairer woman. They were both dressed in 19th century women's slips. Or whatever the white gown underwear thing would be called, a slip no? They had spread before them a large blanket and possessed two cans of whipped cream. Each had a lovely parasol and it looked to me that they were perfectly enjoying a sunny afternoon picnic. Watching all the wildlife stroll by with cameras and cellphones and the odd finger point. They even at stages, felt so immersed in nature they began to swing and dance all across the square. I was embodied in the word bemused. and by embodied i mean i was completely possessed by that word. Do you know what I'm getting at? The word possessed me. Moving on.

Later that evening I was traveling with two beautiful companions from the Union Square area to Potrero Hill area. I'll admit it. We took a cab. Which was fantastic. I recalled as we gave directions to our destination the opening skit (to which show I'm unsure) by one of my favorite stand-up comedians Eddie Izzard. When in San Francisco, Mr. Izzard had remarked that there are approximately 5 taxi cabs in San Francisco and that none of them have any idea where they're going. (it's funnier when he says it)(perhaps because he's in drag). Well, our taxi driver said he "would give it his best" (i would sure hope so) To find where we wanted to go. Sigh. Whatever. I can't say that bothered me at all. In fact I chuckled under my breath thinking about Eddie Izzard. So we found our address fairly painlessly. yet, when he stopped halfway up the San Franciscanesque hill to let us out at not quite the right address and cars began to pile up behind him. He jerked the wheel and drove the car into a gap in the parked cars. "Whoa, he said, the vibe just got really weird (we hadn't said ANYthing), to our bewildered faces he continued, "i'm just gonna sit here and decompress". "You do that" and "You need it" simultaneously escaped Crosby and my mouth. Pressing bills into his rough hand we stepped out onto the hill doorways away from our destination. lauren and I giggling at the decompressing taxi driver.

Oh. I had been struggling to remember where I had left this blog. At the Yelle, concert, that's right. Oh dear.

Outrageous. Yelle. Is. In. A. Word. Fantastic. including the current connotation of really good but also in the somewhat obscure connotation derived from its root Fantasy. It was, both, simultaneously (or one because of the other)(both ways). Garish, loud, out there colors and shapes out of some post 2000 80s reverie. And I think i mentioned before. A club full of sunglasses. (reviewing the few pictures I have I see it was less than I thought (and perhaps only me and few friends) but that directly contradicts with my memory. I definitely remember a platinum blonde by the stairway near the toilets who had some ridiculous bug glasses on and at whom I scoffed before finding, later in the night, myself in some ridiculous pair of purple tinted chrome rimmed bug glasses myself.

Had I remembered the wise old adage of "beer before liquor, never been sicker" I may have either chosen not to begin with Alaska Summer Ale. Or to continue to drink beer at the club. Well I chose neither. Although, to be fair, at the end of the night, I did remember to drink beer instead of more liquor (as opposed to several nights before drinking tequila at around 3am). However, I think at this point the Stella (the only draught label I could read, heh.) was warm and flat and absolutely disgusting. But that was after several whiskeys and maybe some perfectly innocent iced tea. So after thoroughly thrashing and crashing and yelling "Je t'aime" at the top of my anglophone lungs. After thoroughly soaking my thin white tshirt. After thoroughly avoiding sloppy makeout seshs with strangers (which cannot be said of some of my companions). After allowing the event photographer (group photographer, whatever) ample time to photograph this youthful indiscretion in his white/pink/black Vespa Firenze Italia shirt and purple tinted chrome glasses. i decided to exit the club (without closing out or picking up credit card) and seat my soaking wet freezing cold self in a door stoop across the street (to apparently await my friends?) which, by lucky coincidence I looked up from the step between my legs and caught a glimpse of my friends turning the corner toward home. Bounding up I jogged over to join them.

Surprisingly, I was only hungover and not sick. the next morning. Which was fine, because I only had a job interview. (don't worry, I nailed it) Although, when Jenny asked me, in a very cunning way "what I would like to improve on" as opposed to "What are your weaknesses?" ho ho, I caught you Jenny, I know what you're asking. I may look hungover and out of it, but I know a hidden question when I hear one, sometimes.

Memory, I blurted out.

I felt pretty invincible after thinking I had made a huge blunder and watching Jenny break into what I thought sounded like a pretty natural laugh. Or, it could be that she could read my face like a children's pop-up book. Either way, I don't think it did any harm. I have an all day interview when I return to the big gray cloud.

But like I said, I'm in San Francisco now. And am eating cold leftover egg rolls for breakfast. Somehow, I had nothing to eat yesterday. Who knows, I have this awful habit of forgetting to eat. So I ordered some Chinese food take out. Ate, mmm, maybe 5 bites and then went to bed (it was pretty late) so I woke up this morning pretty hungry and thank goodness. I still had two egg rolls left. microwave them you might say? Well, ladies and gentlemen and those who don't identify with heteronormative definitions of gender, when inspiration hits, you just don't have tyme to microwave egg rolls. (well gee, really firefox, you think i misspelled heteronormative?) bwahah

so, not really any fancy descriptions here, but most of the time that takes a couple drinks and then the desire to blog within about 12-16 hours afterward, otherwise, toss that memory to the wind. but hopefully i can blog a bit more regularly and consistently now that i think i'm not quite so stressed. dun dun dun da da dun dun UNDER PRESSURE. right?

oh and for all of you who are unfamiliar with my new role model, let's see if I can get this to post also...



let me know you're still here. yeah?

3 comments:

  1. Your faithful readers remain. And if you're still on a Bowie kick, check out the Flight of the Conchords on YouTube. Their Bowie song is hilarious. As is their "issues" song. And "The Hiphopapotamous vs. the Rhymenocerous." I think you'd like them. At the least, they'd help satisfy any Qiwi jones you may still be having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did a little bit of mildly-hypochondriac research on Seasonal Affective Disorder on the internet recently. Though there's still not professional consensus on whether it exists at all, the symptoms experts associate with it have less to do with melancholy and more to do with sleeping more and gaining weight (like hibernation or something). But research remains inconclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the entertainment. That was actually the first extended exposure I've had with the Conchords.


    RE: S.A.D. -- either way it doesn't seem like a disorder to me. Weight gain and increased sleep are also symptoms of depression. But regardless, gaining weight and sleeping more seem like pretty natural things to do in shittier weather i.e. winter. Conserve energy, food scarcity, people who didn't do that would be the disorderly ones. However, since I don't gain weight. I think simply reacting emotionally to the weather is also, pretty darn close to 'natural' or 'normal' or nowhere near a disorder. But I'm sure someone would sell me a drug to correct my "natural" state.

    ReplyDelete