"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

so it's been a while again. its amazing how time passes by. I still feel like it's May. Seattle got slammed with snow leading up to Christmas and it would be difficult to confuse December with May now, but for some reason I never moved past May.

The months slip by and I can't really see anything that would upset this process, time that is. I had always thought of the phrase "Time is on my side" as simply an artful way of saying you've got loads of free time, but I understand it in a new light when i feel as though Time is so adversarial and not in a battle to accomplish errands, but Time as a personal attack. An oppression of monotony and immovable force. Even something as "momentous" as the holidays, rolled over and past me with little effect.

Across my street a team of 3 utitlity workers with the aid of a large truck are putting up a new ?telephone? (i suppose there are multiple technologies beside telephone these days) pole. It makes me think of society at large, but that's nothing new. Sometimes I think Henry Ford and Industry are some of the worst things in the world. I just don't like how specialized everything's become. Ohp, there's 4, one was operating the truck. i think you can pull off cities without industry.

i have nothing more. i'm not in the mood.

2 comments:

  1. What did you think of Norwegian Wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah Norwegian Wood.

    I'm actually in the process of reading it for the fourth time. I first read this book early on in my college days. It's a fantastic book. Murakami's best by far. I used to say Murakami was my favorite contemporary author...and then I read his other works. I'm going to rescind that distinction.

    Norwegian Wood is one of those starkly written books that somehow amidst all the contrast is blatenly clear on how all the characters could be drawn from a single person. This type of book is encouraging to the aspiring writer.

    To be sure, the book is depressing, melancholic, nostalgic yet not so nostalgic. It has the tone of the ugly being beautiful which is nice certainly, but Murakami avoids much of the clicheness of it. it could be funnier.

    i found the focus on memory as most strongly resonating with me. As much as the novel is involved with the characters, it is involved with the narrator (Toru)'s relationship with his own memory. Which for someone with such an idiosyncratic memory as myself (or all of us really i guess) i find it fascinating.

    The relationship between you as a memory and you as a rememberer is just as intoxicating as a relationship with another person....or perhaps not everyone has my vanity.

    ReplyDelete