"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Sunday, November 25, 2007

What is my life?

So I'm in Kiwi Country, aka New Zealand now. After 24 hours of flying I am suprisingly not jetlagged. perhaps because it was an entire day. and well, I landed in New Zealand and it was sunny and warm. phew I'm back home. I also am looking at my hands right now and they are pukey pale. like awful. Which, by the way, I read an article in Scientific American about the positive effects of sun exposure. The sun scare with skin cancer has actually driven the majority of the Northern Hemisphere (well really just US and Europe) into a Vitamin D deficiency which is causing all sorts of health risks. Moderate, non-sun screened exposure to the sun is good for you (duh because thats what was planned by nature) So, I'm not wearing sunscreen. And I'm going in the sun.

so far I like new zealand. people are really friendly and helpful and are really the first people who have been genuinely enthused about my nationality (the irish sort of were, but in a racist way that sort of lost its charm and the eastern europeans weren't enthused whatsoever, to understate things a bit)...

not that i blame any of them. what is this shit going on with Iran? are you serious? and wanting to revamp our nuclear arsenal? yeah, that's where I'd choose to spend billions more dollars that we DONT have. sigh.

So yeah, i'm back in shorts and a tshirt, which is much better for me than long underwear and a hooded sweatshirt, sleeves full of snot. Although, my whole skin died right before leaving Ireland and now I'm a scaly lizard. Don't know how Ireland dried my skin out...the physics of the country are simply mind boggling. I've also dealt with the whole traveling alone thing pretty well so far. i guess we'll see how it goes after a couple of days not traveling. Whilst traveling, I just sort of get into game mode, where like, shit needs to get done, like figuring out where to catch the bus, and then riding the bus. I had a complete brain malfunction in Heathrow, repeating to myself almost outloud that I needed to go to Terminal 4 before proceeding to walk straight past the Terminal 4 bus and getting on the Terminal 3 bus, for absolutely NO reason. I didn't realize I had not meant to go 3 until I had walked around the terminal and realized it was only British Airways there...thank god for the long layover.

anyway, i'm here I'm ok. I'm working on getting contact stuff up besides internet, but oh well. Tomorrow morning I'm taking the 6th most beautiful train journey in the world...(ranked by whom I still don't know) and I'll try to post again soon, once I'm settled on the West Coast and not Christchurch. Happy no longer winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment