"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ought Implies Can

It's beautiful here. Sunny and quite warm. And the hot tub has been working well in the evenings.

I'm also really tired because I'm baptism by fire-ing my way back into running. That's ok though. I also like thinking again. Like, thinking about school, and the stuff that I studied and in general and I just miss thinking. I like thinking, arguably much more so than doing. Which, if you ask me, thinking IS doing. It's quite active. And so is speech. But, that's not something I really feel needs to be discussed right now.

I've had a couple conversations with friends recently about practicality vs. idealism. And, they are really difficult to reconcile. And, I think, my current thought is somewhere along the lines, well let me define terms (for this post and undertaking, obv.)

idealism--slow, takes time, endeavors to be responsible (can we use the word justified? or is that too loaded?), is stereotyped as overlooking possibilities of concrete tangible change.

pragmatism--head buried in 'real' world, endeavors to employ solutions, often works quickly, attempts to alleviate concrete tangible problems, measures success by numbers (traditionally)

so, you can see my bias in my definitions. But, really, I guess the way I've attempted to reconcile the two are to take the bits of pragmatism that I like and subsume them into idealism. The parts of pragmatism I don't like, I argue against and try to simply throw away, or at least minimize their influence.

i guess it boils down to responsibility. which, i sometimes get lost with, because I think you as an agent should be responsible for everything. This gets metaphysically sticky, but I think, if you run enough circles around with it, you can still settle on "be responsible for everything". But sometimes I get lost when I try to find whence the responsibility comes.

So there's two things. And I sort of addressed them in my thesis, but. This is why I like the difference between ethics and ethical theory, because, the two things are:

What should you do? and What is should?

I don't want to go overboard with What is Should? but a thought came to me just now that I want to get down. I was reminded of Morality and Religion, a course I took sophomore year I believe from a senile old professor. I hated the course. But one motto that was hammered into my head was 'ought implies can'. Ought, obviously, being the same as should. Well, I would like to disagree. I think that's bullshit. You can definitely OUGHT to have done something even if you COULDN"T have done it. Logically and coherently, it doesn't make sense. But I don't care. i think we normally displace the responsibility to an irresponsible and non-agency possessing entity, like the world, the way things works, the universe, God, or some other third party, by saying in situations when you SHOULD of done something but COULDN'T, if things were different I COULD have done this, the this being, what you SHOULD have done.

Don't know where I really want to go with that, but I think you can have the burden of responsibility regardless of whether you have power. Yes, that's where I want to go. Responsibility and Power are NOT necessarily strolling hand in hand in the garden of Western Myth. Can we say Spiderman? With great power comes great responsibility, I mean, maybe, but great responsibility is upon those with or without power. We are all responsible. and for everything.

So perhaps at the moment, I haven't found whence this responsibility comes, but I find it everywhere and always. and I find myself called to obey. but that brings up the whole question of obedience. Must I always be obedient? Well, i suppose you could say, that at the same time that I find myself always held responsible, I am never responsible. And this supports my previous point. I CANNOT be responsible, absolutely cannot. and YET, I AM (under the burden to be) responsible. So, I always disobey.

This leaves the question whether I SHOULD strive to obey. because I can still always disobey and never try to obey, I can neuter the call of responsibility by simply not addressing it. But I suppose this is what ethics is. Ethics is striving to obey the call of responsibility.

Ok, let me get back on track. I've been through that circle a million times. but this is why I remain in favor of idealism. Because, striving to obey is ethical, that is what it means to be ethical and so, pragmatism, as I see it, is less- or in- ethical because it sacrifices the responsibility in order to implement solutions. This I think is what bothers me about pragmatism (not in a philosophical sense, but in the activist, stop talking start doing! type sense).

I realize what this means, and I am ok with it. And I realize why I'm ok with it and I'm ok with that. At least I'm pretty sure.

3 comments:

  1. sean, it's great to see you becoming a full-fledged philosopher already . . . but could you keep adventuring sometimes, too? somewhere? LA is a jungle, as we all know from Guns n Roses---there've got to be some crazy tigers running around or vines to swing from. metaphorically, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, I was so psyched/grateful to see your new, de-zoomed profile picture that I decided to check out your blog. I like this post a lot because a) you seem to miss Pearsons as much as I do and b)this defence of thinking vs. acting is precisely the kind of self-justification i need right now.

    Everyday I feel the need to justify myself to myself and to others who see philosophy as a Waste of Time. You deconstruct the world for people and all they do is give you a blank stare and say, "that's really interesting, but you have to understand that in the REAL world things don't work that way, just wait until you have a 9-5 job, four kids and a husband to feed, then you'll get your head out of the clouds and stop preaching."

    I'm all about the hands-on approach, it's just that a lot of people need an abstract kick in the ass in order to do something and to know WHAT to do. So thinking and talking can be a way of sensitizing people to that call of responsibility. I'm not quite sure I follow/agree with your distinction between idealism and practicality in terms of responsibility ("responsible for everything"?), but I think both alternatives come with blindfolds.

    Some idealists have an overdeveloped sense of responsibility for the "whole" that blinds them to their responsibility for the parts, often the parts right under their nose(I saw "Into the Wild" a few days ago, that's the lesson I learned). The so-called pragmatists tend to lose sight of interconnections, and very often "activism" involves some degree of selling out. You're compromising right, left and center to reach this ONE goal (halfway). That's frustrating to anyone who's a perfectionist in the philosophical sense. and like you said, it becomes much easier to accept "failure" because we can blame the invisible(?) third party whenever we can't live up to the idealist's notion of Responsibility. (how is the failure of the idealist different from that of the pragmatist?)

    I read an article the other day about the resistance group in WW2 Germany ('the white rose')whose members acted because they were inspired by Aristotle, Goethe, Schiller, and Lao-tse. And I plan to read Derrida's 'who's afraid of philosophy?' because it says on the back that it provides "insight into the pragmatic deployment of deconstructive analysis".

    It could be a good thing that the do-ers keep philosophers on their toes. You wouldn't want to be like my current professors who care more about sentence-level logic and "modal arguments", than about politics and their own lives (and students). My favorite part of your post is, "logically and coherently it doesn't make sense. But i don't care." Way to go!

    One last thing: I watched a documentary yesterday about New Zealander Mark Inglis whose Mt Everest expedition left a British climber to die alone (2006), unaided, near the summit. If you don't know the story, see "Dying for Everest". It made me sick. When criticized, the climbers said "there didn't seem to be anything we could do for him anyway." The guy was conscious and could talk, can you imagine having 30-some people pass you on their way UP, check on you, and then be like, "sorry, man. would have given you a hand, but we've gotta reach the top before dark." Because that's essentially what happened. And even if the mounaineers were "powerless" and probably couldn't get the guy down alive, ethics IS that "striving to obey the call of responsibilty", emphasis on STRIVING. But of course, they could and did argue that "it's a harsh world up there. people die."

    Maybe "ought implies can" is OK if the assumption is that you always can try (harder).

    This has got to be the best, longest comment anyone has ever left on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Shit,

    I somehow totally missed this comment. matchmaker. Thank you SO much for the consideration, thought, and time into that post. And yes, yes yes. I'd like to hear more. Definitely, if by some odd chance you still read this.

    ReplyDelete