"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bitchin' Hitchin

So, I had my first experience hitchhiking. and it was great.

I needed to get from Punakaiki in the West Coast Region, to Nelson, in the Nelson Region. Which, total, I think is some 292km or something like that. I hitched from my host's house and waited less than 10 minutes before getting picked up. The guy was a 26 year old from Jordan who was a chef and was eager to have him family move down to New Zealand with him. He was extremely nice and kind. We had a great chat the whole hour drive to Westport (where he was going) and when we arrived he not only showed me all his favorite spots in the town, but he bought me a cup of coffee and sent me on my way. What a nice guy yeah?

Then, I hit the doldrums of traffic over the noon hour and early afternoon. I waited longest in Westport, I think, total, and hour and half. Before getting picked up by this great tattooed local who had just moved over to the West Coast from the east coast 2 years back and installed satellite television sets. He gave me a ride giving me commentary on all the wilderness as we passed, explaining the different rivers, gorges, mountains and their histories. We then stopped at a lookout point (one of his favorites) which was really breathtaking. Then we piled back in and he left me out at a fork in the road.

I then had to wait another 10 minutes before getting picked up by a cop. Yeah, haha. and he drove me the rest of the way to Nelson which was like....and hour and a half and he left me off at the tourist info center. Really, three completely different people, equally nice and friendly and pretty much had a great time. I even came out a cup of coffee ahead. So, moral of the story. I am in favor of hitchiking.

But now sadly, I'm staying in Nelson in a backpackers/hostel, which after or compared to WWOOFing is really not very fun. I'd rather be with a family or couple and staying for a longer time (i'm heading to Picton tomorrow) and not well, paying. I had dinner alone. Which was well lonely. But I'm still having a great time. I cannot wait to get to Picton and meet my new family, on the phone they sound wonderful. Anyway, since I'm now paying for internet I am going to be frugal. talk to you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment