"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Friday, December 7, 2007

No: to Sand Fleas, Yes: to Organic Strawberries

So, at my last home I was literally eaten alive by sand fleas. Yeah, and so my legs and arms are just covered in the most hideous looking skin disease ever. And they itch really really badly. Grrr....not pleasant. It has been over a week and they have not stopped itching or gone down. In fact, they are slightly swollen. Fuck that.

However, I am now in Picton and am enjoying myself immensely even though my new host wakes at 6am to start the day and expects the WWoofers to also. This isn't as bad as I thought it might be (hold on though, it's only been one day). I have off and on had crash sessions at around 8 or 9pm only to arise refreshed at 7 or 8 am. hahah. I like sleeeep. So, anyway, crashed at around 9 30pm or perhaps 10pm last night and arose rather gently at 5 56am this morning. Perrrfect. Worked on a legit organic farm (before it was a large garden, now I've got like, rows and rows, fields and fields (paddocks, in Kiwi jargon) of fresh yummy organic produce. Since it's summer everything is ready to be picked (and eaten). Tomorrow is the farmer's market which we prepared for today. I only have to work half the day, so up at 6am, finished by half 12 when I get fed lunch and then I'm turned loose on this amazing place. I'm going for a run momentarily.

We are also given free license to graze as we harvest the produce. Which means, I had a nice morning snacking on fresh strawberries, spinach, broad beans etc. it was fantastic. i can't believe how well I'm eating here in New Zealand. Pretty much all homegrown food. Deliciousness, fresh, awesome. work of my own hands (sort of.) pretty much great. My body is thankful I think. it's amazing how gross other food is when you go back to it. I had a restaurant meal in Nelson that, by all restaurant standards was pretty good, but it just tasted awful compared with all the homecooked meals of fresh homegrown produce and food I've been enjoying. Definitely convincing me to start the whole urban gardening thing whenever I score my sweet ass pad in LA or San Francisco....(finger crossing commencing...).

I have a slight farmer's tan already. Sad. Not to mention the flea bites. I'm a mess currently. There was something I told myself not to forget to tell you all, but hah. of course.

Yeah, its gone. I am holding up surprisingly well so far. I did my next stint of hitch hiking from Nelson to Picton which is not far really. A couple from Australia picked me up (mid Twenties) and took me all the way to my host's door. How nice. They were cool, although, the guy definitely did all the talking for his girlfriend. grrrreat. Anyway. So, I've met two more Englishmen and still my stereotype has yet to be broken. Two german girls left here this morning and they couldn't leave quickly enough. They hated all the hard farmwork and particularly were distressed by the early morning wake up call. It seemed as though my two hosts didn't care much for them either. Ah well, you win some you lose most, but what are you going to do? Tramp around beautiful New Zealand I guess...

ok, well I guess not much else is coming to mind at the moment. so. I'll just post this and you all will have to be satisfied. Nobody seems to be chomping at the bit anyway. And I can't blame them what with this more irregular schedule and monstrous posts. maybe more funny stories would do the trick....wertever.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I didn't even realize you were back at it until others told me they read your current entries. I'm right there with you - your blog is giving me a visual impression of your experiences - once you've defined your environment you can get back to your witty commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of organic produce, sf has some sweet farmers markets - just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, those damn sand fleas are the worst... I got the case of them real bad in Spain, and once you finally get rid of them, they find their way back...

    ReplyDelete