"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Winds of Inishowen

Sunday September 9th 2007

We woke up slowly on Sunday mainly due to a rather large night out on Saturday. We still have not hit up the local disco, despite making it a long night. Then we spent the rest of the day spreading the additional 5 tons of gravel we ordered and began filling in the rear trench which we had finished digging and laid with pipe. It’s really difficult to spread tons and tons of gravel with your hands (or a small shovel). But I think it’s made the whole place much much nicer. It’s easier to walk around now, the mud is practically gone and the aesthetics are cleaner, less, ah, derelict.

It stormed all day though. Drizzle and some fantastic winds pounded the house all day. Which whilst spreading gravel, I didn’t really mind. We were both hungover and irritated, so the storm seemed to harmonize with my mood anyway. Then we walked into town for an early hot dinner and then settled back into our room for the night and listened to the wind. It was a rather uneventful day as seems to be the theme as of late. I can’t tell if it’s simply that I’m becoming tired but also used to this life that there is less to report or if the daily happenings are actually just lamer. It seems a little overbearing to continue to whine after a month. While walking into town though I did have the strange feeling of being in another country for this long. It was so much a feeling as a strange feeling thought. Thinking about it made it seem strange, not that I actually feel strange. For me, being in a foreign country was always in the context of a vacation or a short trip etc. So actually having been here for more than a couple weeks seems odd. Whereas Brian having spent time in Thailand doesn’t seem quite as struck by the notion. This is what happens I guess when you don’t study abroad during school.

So I thought I had thrown out my shoulders or at least arms but I think it turns out they are just extremely sore from the work and they just aren’t recovering. Bummer. Because it really really hurts. But I have yet to take any aspirin, and I probably won’t. The town has begun to die down now that tourist season is coming to a close but it has yet to turn into a ‘ghost town’ as some have warned. We are somewhat trying to break into a younger scene here since most of our friends are at least double our age, I feel like I might be repeating stuff I’ve already said. Hmm, not a good sign.

(that ellipsis is me trying to think of something stunningly witty and original.)

I wish I lived in a library. A really big one. And I wish paganism was a major world religion. And I wish there was no such thing as concrete or asphalt. And I wish we had transportation that didn’t destroy the environment. Oh, I also need to learn to play the piano or at least know lots about it. Well, really, I want to know a lot about everything. Did it ever occur to anyone else how silly it is that we live in a world with several lifetimes worth of fascinating things to learn and yet we spend most our lives doing the same crap? This is basic instinctual repulsion to “jobs” or “careers”. I mean, I think that we’ve sort of forgotten, or don’t believe anymore that simply existing and existing well is a noble life. I guess we’ve a skewed notion of “accomplishment” would be the crux of the point. Why must I do anything? And on that thought. I’m not going to write anymore. Hah

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a CD player and an address? I've got a couple Beethoven Sonatas (NOT Moonlight Sonata, F that thing), and some kickass Chopin I could send you.

    Or I suppose there's always the internet, if I could figure out how to post it and you could download it at the library.

    Claudio Arrau owns you.

    ReplyDelete