"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Collection of Friends

Well I’ve decided to try something new and write my blog entry before I go to the library. Perhaps I’ll start doing it at the end of the day before bed but perhaps not. I am so tired lately…I don’t know if it’s the diet, the work, the sleep or what but I certainly am exhausted for no particular reason. Brian and I have hit a bit of a slump in our work. We have been waiting on the Co-Op for our final bits of tin for a week now so the roof is still not completely finished. But the stove has been working well, we’ve been collecting a lot of wood and we’ve also built our door. The next step appears to be the floor. Something has to be done. It has put a hold on any other project. The unbelievably uneven cement floor needs to be dealt with but we are hesitant to begin without first consulting the know-alls about grants. We might be able to get a grant to cover the expense of doing an underfloor heating system in which case we need to hold off on any floor work.

So the past few days have been so cram packed that I can hardly choose a place to start or really make sense of it all. Saturday was a ridiculous day. Absolutely ridiculous. And the people here are wonderful.

Saturday Brian and I got a ride into town from our neighbors (awesome!) and then we walked down toward the library. Along the way we saw that the small church hall by the library was having a small country market. We obviously decided to stop considering this is where we’d prefer to shop and eventually sell our goods. We were almost immediately snatched up by a whirlwind of generous kind older women.

We were given a cup of tea and biscuits (read cookies cakes etc) and chatted it up with two retired nurses (good people to know in case of any, uh hum, accidents). We were then invited to one’s house where she gave us a loaf of bread and jam and offered us blankets for the winter and really just reminded me so much of my sweet Nanny back home who is just one of those people who are really good at making life wonderful. Her home was beautiful. Brian and I couldn’t stop smiling while she talked and hurried about her kitchen. Barely stopping for air let alone a reply from either of us she whipped and whisked us through her house and several local customs with a matter of fact tone that contained such finality that Brian and I could do nothing but smile and be worked upon by this woman. Truly amazing. If we needed anything, we knew exactly who would love to find a way to get it for us.

But the day didn’t stop there. It was only 1pm or so and after a brief stint at the library Brian and I headed home. Exhausted we stumbled into our driveway and Bee-Lined for the stove. Plopping down in our camp chairs we just sat blown away by the morning.

Then I got up and went to the tent to grab my book and I saw a small note under a rock on the tent. Written on the note it said “I have some doors and units if you would be interested for free” With a phone number and a name, I couldn’t believe our luck. I called the number and met a cheerful voice on the other end. Laughing at my “American talk” she invited us to come take a look at the things she was hoping to get rid of.

So Brian and I walk back toward town and up a large hill (brea, or breagh, or something). Halfway up the breagh I see a woman out on the street in front of another gorgeous home with a cordless phone waving. Brian and I look at each other and say “Here we go again” She is thrilled to meet us and gives us each a kiss on the cheek and invites us in to meet her company. In her living room, are three guests who are equally interested in meeting us. Brian and I had hurried over because it had been getting on in the evening (5pm or so) and so when we arrived we actually had started sweating…embarrassing. We apologized that we were a bit overheated and before we knew it two ice cold beers were in front of us. You’d think the Gods had scripted this exactly. A lively woman and her husband were visiting along with a neighbor and between the two women there was a bubbling tennis match of gossip with Brian and I tossing in answers and comments like two little school girls trying to join double dutch…haha. No but seriously it was like that.

Again we were offered the world and actually had a great time chatting and hanging out and carrying on. We ended up staying for 4 hours! It was perfect, absolutely perfect. Plenty of doors and other items that we could definitely use. Not only that, but we got a ride back home! In addition, we came home with a small refrigerator’s worth of food. Sure beats PB&J.

THEN…(I know it keeps going). Brian and I decide to go into town (well basically we had a date at a local bar) and we end up meeting some great people at the bar who against our will bought us a couple round of drinks (it’s getting more and more difficult to fend off these offers or more accurately, more difficult to repay them when we rarely see the benefactors). So Brian and I had thrown back a few and were just having a ball with one of our “getting to be” regular pub friends. We’re then taken to a local nightclub (our first time) and are introduced as Justin Timberlake’s brother/cousin (I can’t remember) and Brian went through 50 cent’s brother to Denzel Washington’s brother, to Halle Berry’s brother. We tried to explain that Brian was not black and that this white lie wouldn’t fly. We then tried to brainstorm all the celebrities that were neither white or black because we were told that nobody would be able to tell the difference between such a celebrity and Brian. Classic. Well in our state we couldn’t quite think of anyone…until we get into the group cab where we’re introduced to our first strangers…first reaction from Dude #1 toward Brian’s personality is “He looks more like Selma Hayek’s brother” Money! Haha. So with pseudonyms set and a BAC well into party mode we set off for the nightclub.

Upon arriving at the nightclub and finding out they didn’t have any Jaeger left Brian and I decided to cut the night short. It was somewhere around 2am anyway and we’d had quite the day already. So after taking a shot, the content of which we can no longer remember (the only important thing was that it was 55%, 110 proof and didn’t taste that bad) we started our walk home. Cue the international drunk dial. “Hey mom”….(yeah what can I say, she loved it)

And we basically woke up today (Tuesday) somehow though, sleeping through Sunday and Monday we got the back lawn cleared and the door built. We have a fortress of a kitchen door. Seriously.

Butttt again it doesn’t end. (this is what happens when I’m not restricted by an hour of internet. You get long ass blog entries. Suckas.

I met a possible relation this morning who has offered us dinner and a shower (score!) He also asked when the house warming party was going to be (I’m afraid and totally pumped that half the town may end up here, sweeeet) As long as I have a room to lock myself in, Brian adds. Punk.

Brian and I have enjoyed thinking up schemes to repay all these kind people. Creativity abounds and we’ve got some great things planned. But for now they’ll stay secret. Oh and I still have a lot to say regarding my current book (which is driving me insane) but alas. That’s boring and I’ll continue to put it off.

We also got to watch a football match on the pitch that part of my land overlooks. It was quite fun and reminded Brian and I of Sunday’s at Pomona. We had a little Ratatat playing sitting in camp chairs up on a field hill watching an athletic match (football instead of lacrosse this time) and well…the Tilt was missing but that’s about it….sigh, nostalgia.

Speaking of which, I’m wondering when our first visitor is coming. Ahem. Ok that’s probably plenty for now. It’s time to go. But also, one of my great brethren of the PPXC ilk has inked himself and to honor that which we have given our blood sweat and tears. Here here, my dear man. I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment