"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Men vs. Swallows Dog vs. Traffic

Ok everyone I have a lot to catch you all up on and I think I'm in a better state of mind to remember it all. So here it goes...

We've found out from multiple people that this has been the worst summer in 15 years which is oh so encouraging...we weren't just crazy. AND it's been nice here lately. Perfect. It really is beautiful. So without much rain the spirits are soaring.

We are millimeters away from finishing our roof for good. We have a nice skylight that opens up the inside quite a bit and...drum roll THE STOVE was delivered today so Brian and I have feverishly been trying to get it up and running because it still is quite chilly at night and well, a sleeping bag at 9pm is just sort of getting old. It'd be nice to stay up by dim light and warmness for a few more hours with a nice tall boy and book. Brian is starting Night by Elie Weisel for the first time and I am still skipping through books like it's my job. I started rereading Once a Runner mainly because I couldn't choose anything else and because I can pick it up whenever and not have to read it straight through, just open to a page and start reading. It's comforting.

I also broke down and went for a run. It was a cool foggy misty day (aka perfect running weather) and I told Brian I'd be gone for a half hour (considering how out of shape I felt) well, as could be expected I got caught up in it and ended up running for an hour way out just exploring the roads which I'm not going to lie, is my favorite way to acquaint myself with new areas. The sheep farms here were so compelling that I even considered getting into the trade. Sean the sheep farmer. That's a ridiculous image. But it's just idyllic. Truly is. What a great run. When I decide to get back into it, I will have no shortage of breathtaking runs. It's also perfectly rolling hills, none too large and none too flat. This is my plug to get Crosby out here. Maybe more pictures will help. Anyway....

The title of this post comes from the swallows which are trying to roost in our new roof. I get angry. We need a door. And Dog vs. Traffic comes from one of the strays around here. There are quite a few I've gathered seeing as we see a lot of dogs and not too many owners. We have had two follow us. One was previously mentioned and he has been named Annoying Dog and the other one is this seriously suicidal attack dog that runs out into the street EXTREMELY close to the cars and yaps at them. He also drops down to the ground and creeps along until a car comes and then takes off after it. He is hunting cars, its probably one the funniest/scariest things to watch ever. He is named Crazy Dog. We almost want him to come live with us. He ALWAYS brightens our mood. So that's crazy dog. he's crazy.

We received some mail and so it works. We got spices from Brian's parents (THANK YOU!). And so if people were itching to send some stuff out here this is our wishlist:

Best of Will Farrell DVD
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Big Lebowski
Bucket of Cash (or pail, really the container doesn't matter much)

The article about us in the local newspaper came out and it was nice. Many people have mentioned it to us and we weren't too horribly misrepresented. My dad was said to my grandfather and Brian's only quote was saying the Beer was too expensive (haha, sucker) but that's about it. It could have been worse. Definitely. Although, I sound a little bit like a Sally in it because they talk about our eco-friendly motives and how I want to get a good garden going. Oh how domestic. It's true but...I don't know, haha just sounds a bit whatever.

The top of our land has a great view of a local field (called a pitch) where they play football (soccer) and perhaps Irish football and hurling. Nobody has been on it but yesterday it sounded like there might've been a match but we were too busy with the roof. I can't wait for the season to start because That would be a great time. Get the deck completed and go chill up there and watch the games. I'm sort of starving for some sort of athletic outlet. Either watching some football, perhaps playing a bit or entering in some local races, of which there are a few. But I feel a bit awkward doing that.

I'm trying to remember if there was anything else to mention. PJ has come by several more times and it always perks up our mood. Not only is it a nice break from work, but interacting in a non-business setting with someone close in age just seems to take less energy or something. Its almost relaxing, he also turned us on to an even cheaper beer. As Brian said, we should've been talking to him all the time. We also met his twin today (dammit I'm so bad with names.) she offered us a ride into town which let's be honest, is amazing. Although, the 3k walk isn't bad really at all, it just takes a ton of time which is something we don't always have enough of when shops close at 530pm or whatnot. She was really nice, she was heading off to work and well I guess Brian and I have been kinda dick (we haven't introduced ourselves officially to the neighbors on the other side of us (Pj's family) yet...our b.) (like the double I guess now triple parantheses?) Figured.

You guys. This is going to be a sweet-ass house. Visits need to happen. But maybe not for a couple months. But seriously. So much potential. Oh, I'm buying a scythe to keep the yard trimmed and clean. Imagine that, haha. Hacking away at a giant field with a scythe. Yeah. Let's just say my whole upper body hates me for either neglecting it for over a decade or for giving up running and trying to do something completely different.

Interstella 5555 has been sustaining us. It's this bad: the church right by us had it's bells tolling and I immediately thought of the next few bars of aerodynamic...sad. sad. I tell you. We might be naming our house Darkwood Manor. Bwah.

Ok, this is going downhill. Perhaps I'll just cap it off and try to upload pics. Check y'all laters.

1 comment: