"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

First Weekend Alone

So it's been an up and down weekend. It's stormed a lot and my last post was pretty dismal. However, the rained abated today and the sun is shining. Thank god. This weather has left me a manic depressive. Absolutely in a rotten mood when the sun doesn't shine and then jumping around giddy when it is shining. Sheesh. I have started to consume a large amount of Skittles to keep my blood sugar up since Brian and I don't eat often and are working pretty hard most the day.

We wedged the old cast iron stove out of the fireplace (it involved cutting through two boiler pipes and using old bed frame poles to lever it out). It is rusted through so we spent a lot of the rainy morning scrubbing it down with Brillo Pads. It may be salvageable but we are also looking at getting a brand new one. Regardless having two wood burning stoves wouldn't be a horrible thing. Yesterday the roof above the tent began to leak and I woke up soaking wet. It sucked. I was really really mad. So pissed right now. But we have fixed that, alleviated a drainage problem on the other side of the tent and moved the firepit from outside under the rainfly of the tent to the cleaned out future bathroom/kitchen. It left the room mighty smoky but warm and delightful. We will be getting a vent soon enough and warm meals on a consistent basis are on the horizon. I also took my first shower at the site today. It was cold. Very cold. But standing naked in the front yard holding a hose over my head and furiously scrubbing with CampSuds got most my long hair and body clean. I was well beyond numb by the time I finished. But even though the sun had peaked through the clouds, my pride shined brighter. Sadly for all you except maybe family, I cannot post a photo of that spectacle. I also scaled the roof and got the measurements for purchasing timber/metal etc. So we may have a new roof soon as well.

The radio is our saving grace, like I've mentioned before. I now have the radio's number in my contact book on my cellphone for texting in requests. We have yet to get one. The Uk and Ireland have deplorable taste in music. Except for Sunday Classic Gold. But then, all of that is American music, for the most part. Gotta go.

1 comment:

  1. love it seaners. makes me want to come visit even if to survive on skittles and hose showers.

    ReplyDelete