"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sigh

Well, I went back and re-read a lot of what I've written since being here mainly because of a comment left by I'm assuming someone here. The last thing (obviously) that Brian or I would want to do here would be to make enemies. Looking back over what I've written I see the offensive things I've written and as Brian said the yesterday, "In general, generalizations aren't accurate" So yeah, I've generalized a lot about the people and place here. No it's not accurate. Yes, this blog is whiny, I knew that from the start. So what to do then?

A cliche. Everybody is when you don't know them. Patronising I'll take, that's true and is unfair, however, representing a foreign people for an audience of your own back home, anything one might say would be patronising. Again, when you don't know them...

Pretentious, yeah, whether in the States or in Ireland that hasn't changed, and I'd say I've toned it down while being here.

Gobshite, sure, what is the point of a blog? Gobbing shit. And the point of reading a blog? Reading gobshite. So don't know what to say about that one.

Ending in tears, most likely, but that's not really the point. I feel as though this project, my reason for being over here is to give this place and people a chance despite my biased baggage. This is prattling gobshite but again, I claim I'm limited by the medium.

For those of you not in Buncrana, Brian and I were approached by a local newspaper wanting to do a story on us. I asked Brian after the reporters left whether this would help us or hinder us. It looks like it may do both. It comes out tomorrow.

On another note, we have the first chunk of roof almost completed and I'd say things are looking good. We did our first stint of laundry at the laundromat today and it feels good to have clean clothes. I had a lot more to write but I can't remember it right now. I'll try to post a few pictures if I have time.

3 comments:

  1. Your assumption that that the reply to the previous posting was written by someone from Buncrana is correct (not too far from yourself in fact.)

    While I do of course thoroughly respect your right to express opinions (this is Ireland after all) It irks me to see ill-informed, half arsed judgements being presented as fact for an audience who simply don’t know any better. Just the same old ‘pig in the backyard’ rhetoric.

    Anyway, that’s water under the bridge and I honestly hope things work out for yourself and your mate. I strongly suggest that you travel into Derry and sign up with an agency. The work will be crap but at least you’ll get paid in sterling which makes a BIG difference.

    Might buy you a pint if you ever venture into Roddens.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.

    I agree the judgements were ill-informed (I've been here less than a month) and half-arsed may be. But I feel as though I took care to not present my opinion as fact by prefacing my statements with phrases such as 'nebulously postulate' and acknowledging that I knew nothing of Irish history or current context. I do hope that people don't take what I write to be fact but merely the observations/experiences of a particular person, the key aspect being that the opinions and views are dynamic and changing. I want to learn about this place so that I'm not ill-informed and hopefully not nearly as half-arsed.

    I'll take the advice about an agency seriously. I'm happy to hear it's water under the bridge. I believe there was an article in today's Inish Times about a local agency..? And we'd be thrilled to try a new pub.

    Stop by some time and we'd be more than happy to share a cool refreshing tall boy of the Castlemaine or perhaps ?Galaghad? variety.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, for the record, its never really been our objective to come here and find jobs for the sake of making money. obviously, our poorly-exchanged resources are being stretched by the strong irish economy that would make working here so compelling, and we have thought about one of us getting something parttime to offset the price of daily expenses. however, we are sensitive to the problems that have accompanied the recent enormous influx of labor into ireland and to come make a buck off the favorable exchange was not really among any of our motives in coming here. we do appreciate the suggestions though, thanks.

    ReplyDelete