"...my poor heart is sentimental....not made of wood"

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ireland



So, It's beautiful to be sure. It's nothing too exotic looking, but it is beautiful. I will post photos when I bring my camera to the library (free internet, thank god). Brian and I have our library cards, an address and soon to be bank accounts. Citizens, eh?

It looks like we'll be renovating the existing stone house that is on the land as opposed to building our own from scratch right off. Partially because this will be a much quicker job, we can make the house really nice and its a fucking kick ass house. Like seriously. We met a longtime friend of my grandfather's who owns pub named Excelsior on the main drag. His name is Peter the Eggman. Apparently, according to the Eggman 2/3 of the town is Dogherty 2/3 of the town is McLaughlin and the last 1/3 is mixed. (Brian maintains that he wasn't bad at math, he was merely making a point) The Irish speak extremely quickly here and its next to impossible to understand them. I just nod and smile most the time. I gave up laughing because I'm not sure when it's entirely appropriate. I laughed as one man was telling a story and he stopped, looked at me and said, "Now wireyalaffun?" I am not quick witted enough for this group. Thankfully Brian is. I'm afraid the two of us are going to get raked over the coals as far as socialization goes though. Its quite a different world. Most people thought it mighty strange that we weren't trained in any particular skillset. (Ahem Zayn, Oona, Jerry) They want to know why we can't do Computer Science, business, or something else. The whole scholar part of the economy doesn't hold much water here I think...

Anyway, I will post more later. Right now Brian and I are off to buy bicycles. Guinness here is amazing and lives up to the hype back home. And let's all pray the dollar starts doing better, oy we don't hear the end of it here. We're getting poorer by the minute! But hopefully the old horseshoe above the doorway to the dilapidated McCarron house will continue to bring us luck. How quintessentially Irish this adventure is becoming. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment